[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distroswitch?

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Fri Jun 19 21:14:54 UTC 2009

On 19 Jun 2009 at 12:39, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > I'm looking at Fedora 11 now, and I notice that with each release
> > Fedora
> > acts a little more like Ubuntu. Why is that?
>
> How so?

OK, I'm an old UNIX curmudgen. I don't like installations with everything in
one big root partition, and I like to work as root in a terminal session when
appropriate, rather than having to use sudo and my password for every
command that needs root authentication. It's against my religion.

Ubuntu has done this from the beginning... yeah I know I can partition my
drives any way I want to, and there's an easy work-around for the sudo thing
just by creating a root password, but it's just SUCH a bother to have to put
things "the way they should be", and this has just always irritated the snot out
of me.

So, I just installed F-11 this morning, alongside Windows 7 RC1, and I just
let anaconda use the partitioning scheme it defaulted to. I chose not to give
anaconda any guidance because I wanted to see if it would trash Windows 7
(it didn't, all is well)

Guess what? I have a 120GB root partition, and the very first command I
tried to execute (don't remember what it was, I'm getting old, but I think it was
actually a menu item) I got a pop-up telling me I had to use sudo and my
password.

Thanks, I don't want training wheels. If I want to hose up my system by doing
something stupid as root, then that's my business.

GRRRR!!

Maybe I'm just behind the times, but old habits die hard.

> <asbestos underpants>
> In my experience, the latest Ubuntu release typically has all sorts of
> features that were already in the prior Fedora release... We (RH/
> Fedora) write the code, test it, stabilize it, then Ubuntu ships it,
> claims credit (or at least doesn't say boo when they get the credit
> that should go to someone else) while everyone keeps knocking Fedora
> as being nothing but Red Hat's playground for RHEL, unstable, etc... :D
> </asbestos underpants>

Well, I don't knock Fedora. It's my distro of choice. I jump ship occasionally,
but always come back.

Marvin