[mythtv-users] determining power state of firewire cable box

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Sat Jun 20 01:56:07 UTC 2009

Preston Crow wrote:
> Yes, there is. I took the code from Myth's firewire tuning code, and
> added it to 6200ch, creating a '-q' option to query the power state.
> That made it easy to create a channel change script that powers the box
> on if needed (which I needed to record with the PVR-250 on 5C-encrypted
> channels).

Interesting. I did something similar for the Scientific Atlanta box
which I posted here: http://code.google.com/p/sa3250cmd/
The code strictly does power on/off/status at this stage to keep things
discreet.

I'm pretty sure the code will also work on the Motorola boxes because
the firewire commands seem largely universal. I don't bother with device
type checks any more since you can spec a node number and I wrap it in a
GUID-to-node script.

When you figure out how to properly add this to the contribs directory,
let me know. I've been meaning to ask on the dev list but haven't got
around to it yet.

Christian