[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 09:36:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard<jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/6/20 Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com>:
>> Definitely let me know when your files are uploaded, and where I can
>> download them from;  Yeechang sent me a file but it played fine for
>> me; I'd like to reproduce a failure so I can look at that format
>> decoding.
>
> Sorry, I thought I did.
> http://www.avenard.org/files/media/videotest/
>
> badrecording.mp3 won't play with your patch

Hrmmm, it plays for me (assuming you meant badrecording.mpg) on r20212
with my patch.  I will try to compile the latest 0.21-fixes with patch
later this weekend and see if I can get failures there (I need to get
permission from my wife, though; this particular setup has been as
rock solid stable as ever for several months now, so it must be time
to fiddle with it :-)

I realize now that both you and Yeechang are running 0.21-fixes with
your VDPAU backport; I'm wondering if there's an interaction there
(but I looked at your patch and don't see any of the libavformat files
touched, though the interaction could be in the way the codecs are
loaded/probed).

General call for info:  Has anybody running 0.21-fixes + my patch,
*without* the VDPAU backport seen similar issues with files that used
to play but don't with the patch?

>> Can you run "mythfrontend -v important,libav,playback > tmp.log", play
>> a bad file and send me that log (off-list is fine)?  That'll tell what
>> it *thinks* it's decoding.
>
> I can't...
>
> I'm working on something else, and I can't be bothered recompiling
> again with just your patch ...

Understand; I think you got involved just because someone said your
bijou version had this in.  For others who are just looking for my
patch to try, you can download a binary version at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tazzbiyy2mi

It's a .tar file, with README instructions and libavformat.o (which
still shouldn't have changed in 0.21-fixes, even in the VDPAU
backport).  If you have playback problems as in this thread, run with
the log options I suggested and send me the output.

> I'm just about to switch to trunk too..
> Can't see the point anymore in doing all those extra patches/fixes
> when they are all in trunk already..

I agree, but see "wife" and "stable" above, combined with me not truly
*needing* any of the trunk features :-)  Seriously, after resolving
these remote delays it seems that we haven't so much as had to restart
the frontend, much less the backend in months.  I know the instant I
touch anything that's going to change, but the temptation is too much
to bear...

Josh