[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distroswitch?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Jun 20 13:01:34 UTC 2009

match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

> OK, I'm an old UNIX curmudgen. I don't like installations with everything in
> one big root partition, and I like to work as root in a terminal session when
> appropriate, rather than having to use sudo and my password for every
> command that needs root authentication. It's against my religion.
>
> Ubuntu has done this from the beginning... yeah I know I can partition my
> drives any way I want to, and there's an easy work-around for the sudo thing
> just by creating a root password, but it's just SUCH a bother to have to put
> things "the way they should be", and this has just always irritated the snot out
> of me.
>
> So, I just installed F-11 this morning, alongside Windows 7 RC1, and I just
> let anaconda use the partitioning scheme it defaulted to. I chose not to give
> anaconda any guidance because I wanted to see if it would trash Windows 7
> (it didn't, all is well)
>
> Guess what? I have a 120GB root partition, and the very first command I
> tried to execute (don't remember what it was, I'm getting old, but I think it was
> actually a menu item) I got a pop-up telling me I had to use sudo and my
> password.
>
> Thanks, I don't want training wheels. If I want to hose up my system by doing
> something stupid as root, then that's my business.
>
> GRRRR!!
>
> Maybe I'm just behind the times, but old habits die hard.

I tried Ubuntu a long while back and decided I couldn't work with it at all. It
deliberately tries to hide things from you, and the sudo thing annoyed me as
well. It's one reason I eventually chose Mandriva: it puts things in sane places
you can find them (it's based on Red Hat), there's normal root access if you
need it, but unlike Gentoo for example it does a lot of the heavy lifting for
you. The only thing I find frustrating about it is the performance of
urpmi/gurpmi (the package manager), which even after several years is still
buggy and can hose your configuration.

I evaluate each version as it comes out, but I tend not to update my main
systems more than about every 18 months/2 years, unless there's something I
desperately need. The update policy of Mandriva is good enough to allow me to do
this.

--

Mike Perkins