[mythtv-users] Myka is Shipping

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 20 22:38:38 UTC 2009

On Saturday 20 June 2009 14:36:18 Marc Randolph wrote:

> The "Developer special" page implies to me that they disable telnet,
> ftp, etc on the less expensive "non-developer" boxes, but probably
> won't be long until someone figures out how to counter that...

Nope. I bought a regular non-dev unit, and "telnet, ftp etc." all work fine,
so no countering required.

They seem to be encouraging development, so why would they want to make it
hard and/or expensive to do that?

No ssh, just telnet so far. I have a MIPS-based netbook (Alpha-400) so very
soon I'm going to see if the binaries I have for that will work on the Myka,
including the compiler etc. I may also be able to use my Cobalt Qube-2 (also
MIPS-based) as a development platform.

But I may wind up buying the developer version, as I'll probably give away my
initial unit to my brother. He complains about the complexity of other
internet-TV approaches, and the Myka has a simple enough user interface that
he may find it acceptable.

Ever try to show a non technical person how to use MediaTomb?

That's what has my interest so far, the Myka is simple enough for
non-technical consumers to use easily, and accessible enough to interest the
techies.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org