[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jun 21 19:23:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 02:54:33PM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> jedi wrote:
>>     If I were building from scratch I would start with an Antec Fusion
>> case and a C2D nv7x00 mATX board. Zotac even has such a board. I would
>> put a 2TB WD drive in it and probably not even bother with an optical
>> drive.
>>
> The OP is looking for a budget system here.  The Fusion is a premium
> case and probably overkill.  A C2D is going to be a bit pricey (usually

    It's a well known quantity.

    He can buy it in confidence and not have to worry that he might be
wasting his money as well as a lot of extra effort replacing this case
should it turn out to be a lemon. (been there, did that)

> starting at >$100).  One of the Allendale Pentiums (rebranded bargin
> C2D) or an Ath64 X2 would be a better choice.  Similarly, go for 1-2 1TB
> drives.  They're currently the low price point at $70-$80 each.

    If they are WD, sure. The Seagates have had problems.

    He might "get lucky". Then again he might not. Better safe than sorry.

>>     My AppleTV seems to do really quite well despite the relative
>> slowness of the CPU in that box.
> Even if it could decode full bitrate ATSC, you're running on an
> extremely thin margin.  Beyond that, it can only be used as a frontend.

    An AppleTV is only really missing an optical drive. It has it's own
hard drive and can accomodate an external one. If you are recording with
another external device you could quite possibly make an AppleTV a combined
backend/frontend. It might not even be any less powerful (CPUwise) that an
ION.

    The same approach can be used for a previous generation mac mini. However,
the i945 seems to have problems with HDTVs that send out crap edid info.

    If anyone has information to the contrary, I would find this useful myself.
I have 2 HDTVs that send out bogus EDID info and are less than completely
usuable with the older minis.

>>     I agree with the choice of the HDHomeRun and have one myself.
>>
> I have one too, but the problem is lack of analog support and relatively
> high $/tuner.

     It's June 2009.

     Analog is dead. Stick a fork in it.

     The HDHR isn't exactly "cheap" but it has very good tuners. The
"customer" may find that the HDHR has better tuners than the TV that
will be used for playback.