[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Jun 21 19:49:21 UTC 2009

jedi wrote:
>> The OP is looking for a budget system here.  The Fusion is a premium
>> case and probably overkill.
>>
>     It's a well known quantity.
>
>     He can buy it in confidence and not have to worry that he might be
> wasting his money as well as a lot of extra effort replacing this case
> should it turn out to be a lemon. (been there, did that)

Last I checked, the Fusion was >$200, but at the current $150 on Newegg,
it's not too bad.  I would suggest a VFD-less Antec or Silverstone instead.
>     If they are WD, sure. The Seagates have had problems.

Right now, Hitachis and Samsungs are both <$80 for 1TB.  There was a
deal not long ago for WD Greens for $70.
>>>     My AppleTV seems to do really quite well despite the relative
>>> slowness of the CPU in that box.
>>>
>> Even if it could decode full bitrate ATSC, you're running on an
>> extremely thin margin.  Beyond that, it can only be used as a frontend.
>>
>     An AppleTV is only really missing an optical drive. It has it's own
> hard drive and can accomodate an external one. If you are recording with
> another external device you could quite possibly make an AppleTV a combined
> backend/frontend. It might not even be any less powerful (CPUwise) that an
> ION.
It's generally considered about even with a single-core Atom CPUwise,
but an Atom isn't capable of full bitrate ATSC either.
>> I have one too, but the problem is lack of analog support and relatively
>> high $/tuner.
>>
>      It's June 2009.
>
>      Analog is dead. Stick a fork in it.
Broadcast analog is dead (not really... theres still low power stations
and nightlighting).  Cable analog is still alive and kicking, and will
likely be for several years depending on your provider.  Analog capture
is also the only way most digital cable users have to get the bulk of
their channels.