[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jun 21 23:44:47 UTC 2009

On Sunday 21 June 2009 16:46:34 Allen Edwards wrote:
> Yes, this is an ATSC OTA system so analog it dead.  She is comparing it to
> a one year cable contract with DVR at under $300 so getting her to see the
> benefit of stepping  up to the joys of Myth is worth something but $500 may
> be pushing it.
> The benefit of the desktop system is:
> 1) Stable software.
> 2) Can use XbMC on a used computer for not much money
> 3) Can use an Air2PC card for not much money if they are still available or
> I can give her one of mine
>
> The benefits of a VDPAU system are"
> 1) The is the future so an investment here is good for a longer time
> 2) Good quality de-interlacing
> 3) Reasonable cost for a new system
>
> This discussion is helpful and I appreciate all the comments.  It is very
> unclear which way to go, however.

One thing to keep in mind is that Myth has never been presented as a way to
save money. In truth, I think most Myth users wind up spending more than a
basic DVR system from a local cable or satellite provider.

What you do get is a superior system, that can do things no commercially
available system can dream of.

If you are thinking of Myth as a way to save money, you are barking up the
wrong tree IMHO.

It is possible to assemble a Myth system from low-cost or used parts, but
those who start out by doing that usually wind up spending more in the end.

Multiple front end systems may well wind up reducing the cost-per-set to below
that of commercial systems, but the motivation should not be financial but
technical. You just get a better system.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org