[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jun 23 17:23:31 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:
 > With the original
> Mac, they managed to make it fanless by putting the power supply (and
> video board) vertically up one side - so the heat it produced generated
> convection and drew cooler air in the vents on the other side of the
> case and across the logic board.

I had one of those "toaster Macs."  The convection cooling didn't turn
out to be a good idea; the analog board tended to develop bad solder
joints from the heat.  There was an aftermarket fan available for them
to fix the problem.

SparcStation SLCs were also convection-cooled and had similar heating
problems.  They tended to cook the electrolytic caps on some of the boards.