[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 23 19:35:46 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 13:11:22 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 June 2009 11:23:31 David Brodbeck wrote:
> >> SparcStation SLCs were also convection-cooled and had similar heating
> >> problems.  They tended to cook the electrolytic caps on some of the
> >> boards.
> >
> > Were those the ones with the CPU board built into a monitor? I recall
> > several of those being tossed as "old monitors", when I came along and
> > asked where the computers were.
>
> Yeah, those were the ones.  They had a beautiful 17" monochrome CRT that
> was really easy on the eyes.  As I recall it was a landmark system for
> Sun...first to retail for less than $6000, or something like that.  They
> made good netboot workstations in their heyday and I still saw quite a
> few in use as X terminals when I was in college in the late 1990s.

Now it's coming back to me. I think the SLC was the 20 Mhz. version, and they
had an ELC that ran at 25 Mhz. Both could use the Weitek PowerUp chip for a
performance boost.

I think Sun actually supported both units until the late 90s, and they did
make good X terminals for their day. I used an LX for that purpose for a
while.

You're right, the display was very nice. I used one to do email for years,
sitting beside the Sun (Sony) 21" monitor for a Sparcstation 5.

In case anyone needs a Weitek I have a few, also some Dallas NV Ram units, but
the batteries in them are probably shot by now. I also have some S-Bus frame
buffers.

But we are WAY OT here.

--
Brian Wood