[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 20:13:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Allen
Edwards<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hate HDCP.  I have to turn my projector on before my DVD player or the DVD
> player won't work.  I am wondering if you can use DVI out of the computer
> and just spdif into the TV so the TV thinks it is being driven by a computer
> and won't care about HDCP.  You can use a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter.  I
> have read that some TVs mute the sound if you put video in the HDMI input so
> you might have to make some change for that.  There have been threads on
> that on this list.
> I don't know that this will work, but you might keep it in mind in case
> other more straightforward ways fail.
> Allen

I have two of these Vizio TVs.  Both have a pair of HDMI inputs, and
fortunately HDMI #2 also has a separate audio input in the form of the
red and white RCA plugs.  This is what I have been using for now, but
I am trying to minimize the number of wires by using audio over HDMI.
So adding DVI into the mix won't really help, unless somehow the DVI
carries the audio and at the same time doesn't carry the HDCP.

Jim