[mythtv-users] Failed Firewire recording

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 18:01:23 UTC 2009

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 09:11 -0400, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>>  why would 1 channel work and the other one not?  Could it be
>> the 5C encryption?
>>

> Possibly. If you search the gossamer-threads archives, you can find a
> procedure for determining whether a given channel is 5C encrypted or
> not, but it's a painstaking, channel-by-channel process.

I believe it's called scanfw
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795378).  I've used it before
but not in a while.  I'll have to give it another try and see what I
have as far as 5C channels are concerned.  What stinks is that I only
have a few channels that I even care about recording over the firewire:
namely the HD feeds of USA and SciFi.  I currently record WWE wrestling
on the SD feeds but getting them on HD would be great.
>>  I was under the impression that once the signal came
>> into the box, the signal/stream is unencrypted and the output is sent
>> out to the box outputs (HDMI, Component Video, Firewire, etc.).
>>

> That is definitely not true. There are many channels on my box that come
> out the component and HDMI outputs, but are not available in the clear
> on firewire. I gave up on firewire (for recording, it works great for
> channel changing) a long time ago. There weren't any channels available
> on firewire that were not available right off the cable to my HDHomerun.
> I bought an HD-PVR instead. But this is something that seems to vary
> with your local cable company. Some people report that they CAN get all
> or most of their channels via firewire. YMMV.
>
> --Greg

I guess I may need to step up to an HD-PVR.  This may sound dense, but
the feed coming from the cable box over Component Video will be HD,
right?  Just in the clear, correct?  I was going to wait until 0.22
comes out, but I guess I could investigate upgrading to trunk to get
HD-PVR support.  I feel like I may be a bit too far behind the curve to
do that however.  I know how to compile from source, but all of the
little "gotchas" such as what to pass to the configure script, etc.
could really be painful to go through.

I can compile on my main box without affecting the current running
version right?  As long as I don't do a "make install" I should be fine,
right?  I have Mythbuntu 8.10 x86_64, so are there some pre-built
packages against 0.21 that have the HD-PVR support built in?