[mythtv-users] Failed Firewire recording

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Jun 24 21:32:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I guess I may need to step up to an HD-PVR.  This may sound dense, but the
> feed coming from the cable box over Component Video will be HD, right?  Just
> in the clear, correct?

Yes, at the moment.  You have no guarantee for how long that will be the
case.  Cable providers (perhaps under the duress of content providers) may
shut off these outputs at any time in the future.  For example, BluRay
licensing agreements prevent manufacturers from selling BluRay players with
analog outputs after 2013.  I expect Comcast and friends will limit analog
output to 480i around the same time frame, if not sooner.

Eric