[mythtv-users] using Fedora PreUpgrade

Joel Michael joel at gimps-r-us.com
Thu Jun 25 05:58:48 UTC 2009

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> Has anyone used Fedora's PreUpgrade utility to update a mythtv machine?
>
>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
>
> I used it on a F10->11 server machine and it seems to have worked fine. I'm
> wondering how it jives with other repositories like ATRPMS and NVidia
> binaries. I'd be going from F9->F11 and my gear is pretty low-tech: cable
> SD on Hauppauge and cable, video on the monitor.

PreUpgrade refused to work for me, because I keep /boot on a separate
100mb partition, and I use the CLI version (real servers don't have
GUIs) which choked on the no space error (it's a known bug).  I just did
everything manually that PreUpgrade does, my server is working fine.
Next trick for me is to upgrade my server's / file system to ext4.

In my reading of the upgrade notes, you have to go F9 -> F10 -> F11
though, because there was a significant change in the RPM package format
in F11 that was only back-ported to F10, not F9.