[mythtv-users] using Fedora PreUpgrade

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 25 12:39:30 UTC 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Joel Michael wrote:

> Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>> Has anyone used Fedora's PreUpgrade utility to update a mythtv
>> machine?     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
>> I used it on a F10->11 server machine and it seems to have worked
>> fine. I'm wondering how it jives with other repositories like
>> ATRPMS and NVidia binaries. I'd be going from F9->F11 and my gear
>> is pretty low-tech: cable SD on Hauppauge and cable, video on the
>> monitor.
> PreUpgrade refused to work for me, because I keep /boot on a
> separate 100mb partition, and I use the CLI version (real servers
> don't have GUIs) which choked on the no space error (it's a known
> bug).  I just did everything manually that PreUpgrade does, my
> server is working fine. Next trick for me is to upgrade my
> server's / file system to ext4.

Really not much to it.

> In my reading of the upgrade notes, you have to go F9 -> F10 -> F11
> though, because there was a significant change in the RPM package
> format in F11 that was only back-ported to F10, not F9.

You read slightly wrong. :)

If you're doing a live upgrade via yum, you do need to first upgrade
from F9's rpm to F10's rpm, but you do NOT need to do a wholesale F10
upgrade before jumping to F11. (The significant change was to change
the package checksum hash alg from md5 to sha256). There's probably
going to be similar fun to get to Fedora 12, as we're introducing xz-
compressed payloads there. (xz is the new stable lzma format, much
better compression than rpm's current compression scheme).

Back to preupgrade for a sec... If preupgrade doesn't hit that no
space error, you can go straight from F9 to F11, because the version
of rpm handling the actual package transactions is done by F11's rpm
within the installer. F10/F11 to F12 should work similarly, though xz
support will be backported to at least F11, and possibly F10 too.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com