[mythtv-users] vdpau sanity check

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 20:05:32 UTC 2009

> Mine is none of the above.  From the manual:
>
> "When the Home Theater receiver is set to On, you can hear sound output
> from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the
> TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the
> source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box /
> Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2
> channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to
> hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the digital audio out jack on DVD / Blu-ray
> player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) directly to an
> Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV."
>
> This is on a UN46B6000.
>
> I've got a sammy DVD player, and a Sony XBR2 TV.  If I hook hdmi up to my
TV, I have to tell the dvd player to send PCM stream for the TV to
understand the audio stream evidently, but then it proceeds to send that
same stereo signal over spdif to my amp since I assume the TV is telling it
can only do 2 channels.  If I want true surround sound over spdif, I have to
disable audio over hdmi to my TV.  That is just plain stupid if you ask me,
so I assumed hdmi from linux would do the same, but I'll have to try and
see.