[mythtv-users] mythbackend sometimes goes to 100%

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Jun 27 09:24:33 UTC 2009

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> A 100% CPU load is nothing wrong, per C. The particular circumstances
> *may* point toward a problem.
> You explain why it is a problem and how you got there.

100% cpu utilisation is almost certainly an indication that the system needs
*more* processor than is available. 100% is all that the cpu can give, by
definition. You have absolutely no idea how much is actually required, just that
your system is saturated.

If your system shows somewhere between 80%-95% (roughly), I would agree with
you. You always need to keep a little margin to allow for occasion use by the
other processes in your machine. Like, for example syslogd or ntpd.

--

Mike Perkins