[mythtv-users] my mythtv network stopped recording shows... why?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jun 28 18:55:40 UTC 2009

<fixed top posting>

On 06/28/2009 02:41 PM, stuart wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 06/28/2009 11:49 AM, stuart wrote:
>>> I hit 100% on a partition (one of several located on both the MBE
>>> and SBE).  This despite a "don't record if you do not have 10GB
>>> available" rule.
>> Run optimize_mythdb.pl .
> Ok, I was always a little confused what "optimize_mythdb.pl" does for
> you so I read the mythtv wiki.
>
> So, it really does what is says - it optimizes the data base - so
> things like running through the recording rules (for instance) does
> not take as long.

Actually, it /repairs/ the database (would have fixed the problem you
had), as well as analyzing and optimizing it.  The analyze/optimize
won't really do much (likely no noticeable performance improvements),
but the repair is really nice.  I.e. if you set it up in a daily cron as
recommended in the comments at the top of the script, you'll never have
a crashed table for >24hrs.

> But how should you run it?  I ran it as my self and it looked like it
> did something - but the first line said something about not able to
> access the data base.  So I ran it as root and it did the same thing
> but did not first print out the access problem.  So, I assume you need
> to run "optimize_mythdb.pl" with root privileges?

The optimize_mythdb.pl script does not require any special privileges.
It does, however, require that the user who runs it have the MythTV Perl
bindings configured--i.e. you need a valid $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml .

Chances are the user running mythfrontend has this, so use that user to
run it or copy his config file to your HOME.

Mike