[mythtv-users] New MythTV interface announced!!

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Jun 28 21:22:03 UTC 2009

Richard Morton wrote:
> We have just announced a project to build a complimentary frontend
> interface for MythTV.
>
> Summary project information can be found at
> www.mythtv.org/wiki/mythtouchmote
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/mythtouchmote>.
>
> The idea is for MythTV to fully support the use of Touchscreen devices
> as the primary interface to MythTV; going way beyond what is available
> currently with programs which simply send keystroke commands to the
> standard front-end telnet interface.
>
> Devices in mind include Nokia-N800-series (they are cheap on eBay),
> iPhones, Android phones, UMPCs, tablets and the like.
>
> Comments on the specification are welcome. People interested in this
> solution who are willing to contribute to the bounty and developers, or
> development teams, interested in working on bringing the interface into
> reality.
>
> www.mythtv.org/wiki/mythtouchmote <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/mythtouchmote>

Interesting idea.  I've been wondering recently how feasible it would be
to have some kind of interface to Mythtv running on a Logitec Squeezebox
Controller [1].  This is basically a nice little remote for their
multiroom audio solution.  Under the hood it's all based on linux and
the software is open source and allows for 3rd party plugins to be
written (of which there are many).  I was thinking of something simple
like browsing recordings and maybe starting playback.  It might be
interesting for you to look at their architecture, as it is roughly what
I think you are proposing for video, but for audio.

Good luck with the project!

Robert.

[1] http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-duet.html