[mythtv-users] mysql, latin1, utf8 and non-mythtv apps

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Jun 29 11:19:34 UTC 2009

I think this is probably a question for Michael T."the mysql king"  Dean -
Hi Mike!! but I'll be grateful for any help here.

I running Gentoo and have a non-latin1 mysql installation. I've read the
instructions for correcting the problem for MythTV and fully understand
them but I'm holding off changing the database until I can find more
information about the effects on my other databases.

These are for Gallery2 picture gallery and the Cacti web frontend for the
rrdtool app.

I've done dumps of the two databases and grep'ing for utf8 I get results
like this...

cacti.sql:/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;
cacti.sql:SET character_set_client = utf8;
cacti.sql:) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=20 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
cacti.sql:SET character_set_client = utf8;
cacti.sql:) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=38 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

gallery.sql:/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;
gallery.sql:SET character_set_client = utf8;
gallery.sql:) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
gallery.sql:SET character_set_client = utf8;
gallery.sql:) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
gallery.sql:SET character_set_client = utf8;
gallery.sql:) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

I understand that I'll have to dump and drop the databases, perhaps do
some editing and then restore them in the same fashion as for MythTV but
would like some pointers to the implications and/or pitfalls.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks