[mythtv-users] 2nd attempt, recorded files are empty

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:35:45 UTC 2009

On 29/06/2009, Peter Hocking <peter at thehockings.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  When I record a TV show using the scheduler, the resulting file is empty.
> How ever, if I start recording the show while watching it using live TV, it
> records just fine.
>
>  Running Mythbuntu 9.04, mythtv-common:
>   Installed: 0.21.0+fixes20745-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu3
>   Candidate: 0.21.0+fixes20745-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu3
>   Version table:
>  *** 0.21.0+fixes20745-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu3 0
>        500 http://weeklybuilds.mythbuntu.org jaunty/main
> Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     0.21.0+fixes19961-0ubuntu8 0
>        500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/multiverse Packages
>
>  Running on Athlon 2800 64 bit, (Socket 754) with 2 gi6 of RAM, 500 gig SATA
> hard drive & SATA DVD- burner with HD Homerun tuner.
>  LiveTV & recording folder are the same,
> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/Test
>
>  I've formatted the hard drive 3 times & re-installed,rwice with Ubuntu,
> then installing MythTV, the last time with Mythbuntu, each time with the
> same result.
>
>  Any suggestions?

If you have more than one tuner configured, I'd guess the higher
priority tuner (or the tuner being selected for recordings) is not
configured correctly, whilst the lower priority tuner (or the one
being used for LiveTV) *is* configured correctly.

If you have two inputs configured, a way to check for this scenario is
to delete your configured inputs in mythtv-setup and then create a new
input connection using the first capture device and the relevant video
source. Exit mythtv-setup, restart mythbackend and attempt a scheduled
recording and a LiveTV session. Determine whether either or both
recordings were successful, and then repeat the process in
mythtv-setup, creating an input connection on the *second*capture
device and retrying a scheduled recording and a LiveTV session.

You don't need to touch the capture cards or video sources - just
delete your configured input connections

The mythbackend logfile will also be outputting useful messages - it
is likely that it already contains the details of the previous
scheduled recording failures. If it does, please post a trimmed
excerpt.

Cheers,
Nick

--