[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 30 22:38:54 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 30 June 2009 15:59:16 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >> Hats off to
> >> Ubuntu, but it's so fat that I can't use it in most situations.
> >
> > No comment... :)
>
> I do find it a little weird that someone who's willing to install
> hundreds of megabytes of source code, development tools, etc., and then
> wait for all of it to install would then decry Ubuntu as "too fat." ;)
> I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
>
> Personally, I liked Gentoo but the downtime required for updating, due
> to having to wait for the updates to compile, was a bit too aggravating.
>   Now I run Mythbuntu.
>
> I agree that emerge is pretty cool, in the same way the FreeBSD Ports
> Tree is cool.

Gentoo is good for some purposes, not good for others.

Compiling KDE on a VIA C2 did allow me to grow a vegetable garden, harvest and
then eat the result.

But getting binaries compiled for *your* machine, instead of generic ones that
are supposed to work for anyone, is a plus. For example, using "optimize for
size" helps a lot if you're running a cache-starved CPU like the VIA chips.

My first Myth experience was with Gentoo, and that gave me a much better
understanding of what Myth was and how it worked than I might have got from a
pre-packaged install. It especially taught me a lot about what Myth depends
on to work.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org