No subject

Wed Jun 24 15:02:31 UTC 2009

devices, and one other kind of capture card (which I do not own). Since all
I have at my disposal is my MacBook Pro (my husk of a Myth Backend is in New
Jersey, I'm in Minnesota. I'll be returning in a few weeks to NJ for
school), I'm wondering what can I do at this point? Can I custom compile a
version of MythTV that will work with the 950Q? I know there is code to get
it working in Linux. Or can I use an older version of MythTV which supports
the 950Q? Or am I essentially out of luck until I can go back to building a
back-end?

As far as my Myth Backend machine goes, it's pretty pitiful. I bought it as
a used PC four years ago, with the intent of having it be a dedicated
backend and using an XBox as a front-end. This worked out well, until I
moved out for school, which I didn't bother as much to keep up the
technology, I just got the machine by. It's a Celeron 600 with 256 MB of
RAM, a WinTV framegrabber and a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. I'm thinking about
swapping out the framegrabber for a USB 2 card so I can install the
HVR-950Q, but given that this is a Celeron 600, is this worth the effort? I
know that the system will just be passing bits on to the hard disk, but USB
is also controlled by the CPU. Will a 600 MHz machine be able to pass up to
20 Mb/s? And what about comm flagging? I imagine that would take years. Just
looking for a second opinion on whether or not this machine is salvageable.
Thanks!

--00163646d4020d2f570470b93ec5

Hello all. About eight or so months ago, my MythTV system decided it wanted=
 to stop working. At the time, I wasn't really able to afford replaceme=
nt parts, and given the questionable future of TV in the area (the people I=
 was living with were thinking of moving to FiOS, so I didn't know if I=
'd need to spend money on a new card, so I thought I'd want and see=
 what happens) I didn&#39;t put any money into repairing the machine.<br>
inTV HVR-950Q to use with EyeTV on my MacBook Pro. The card&#39;s plenty us=
eful, but EyeTV is annoying and limited. It&#39;s EPG is half worthless, it=
 only loads eight hour blocks of data from ATSC data, and if you want data =
from the Internet it&#39;s $20/mo to TV Guide (with no instructions on how =
to subscribe). The software is a little unstable, and has other annoyances.=
 Long story short, I want back in to MythTV.<br>
V devices, and one other kind of capture card (which I do not own). Since a=
ll I have at my disposal is my MacBook Pro (my husk of a Myth Backend is in=
 New Jersey, I&#39;m in Minnesota. I&#39;ll be returning in a few weeks to =
NJ for school), I&#39;m wondering what can I do at this point? Can I custom=
 compile a version of MythTV that will work with the 950Q? I know there is =
code to get it working in Linux. Or can I use an older version of MythTV wh=
ich supports the 950Q? Or am I essentially out of luck until I can go back =
to building a back-end?<br>
ht it as a used PC four years ago, with the intent of having it be a dedica=
ted backend and using an XBox as a front-end. This worked out well, until I=
 moved out for school, which I didn&#39;t bother as much to keep up the tec=
hnology, I just got the machine by. It&#39;s a Celeron 600 with 256 MB of R=
AM, a WinTV framegrabber and a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. I&#39;m thinking ab=
out swapping out the framegrabber for a USB 2 card so I can install the HVR=
-950Q, but given that this is a Celeron 600, is this worth the effort? I kn=
ow that the system will just be passing bits on to the hard disk, but USB i=
s also controlled by the CPU. Will a 600 MHz machine be able to pass up to =
20 Mb/s? And what about comm flagging? I imagine that would take years. Jus=
t looking for a second opinion on whether or not this machine is salvageabl=
e. Thanks!<br>

--00163646d4020d2f570470b93ec5--