[mythtv-users] On the finer points of VNC & SSH tunneling

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Mar 1 13:41:40 UTC 2009

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> Pete Cap wrote:
>>
>> 2. Do I need to change any of my port forwarding rules on the router?
>> Right now tcp/22 on the router is forwarded to tcp/22 on the Myth box.
>>
> If youre no longer tunneling over ssh, you need to open up ports for
> VNC.  That is port 5900 (+server number, server :1 would be port 5901.

Note that I get *hundreds* of attempts to access ports 5900 upwards on my
firewall every day. You should probably choose another port number and forward
it. The fact that there are so many attempts leads me to believe (I don't use it
myself) that there are vulnerabilities in the code.

--

Mike Perkins