[mythtv-users] What's a good projector for Myth?

David Cramblett david at functionalchaos.net
Mon Mar 2 03:30:16 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/3/1 Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com <mailto:stichnot at gmail.com>>
>

>     I'm convinced that I should do 1080p rather than 720p because of the
>     pixelization.  But I don't buy the argument that SD sources will
>     show more pixelization, since either Myth or the projector will be
>     converting to the projector's native resolution.  For that reason I
>     don't see more jaggies in SD programs on my 720p TV; instead, I see
>     a fuzzier image.  Surely it's the same with a projector.
>     \
>

> Having a 1080p projector won't make much (any) difference when watching
> a DVD or SD programs. How could it?
> Actually, I found that my PT-AE900 (720p) DVDs looked slightly better
> than my PT-AE2000 (1080p).
>
> The whole upscaling thing that all manufacturers keep pushing is IMO
> mainly a marketing exercise on how to convince people why they should
> replace an otherwise perfectly good DVD player.

A lot of the newer "Quality" Home Theater Receiver's have a Faroudja
video up-scaler in them that will up-convert all incoming singles to
1080p and send them over the HDMI output of the receiver.  This  can
make cabling from the different format devices to the output device
easier. For instance my kids still have some video tapes and their
willing to watch 420 content on huge screen.  I like not having to run
composite, component and HDMI cables.  This is especially nice when your
ruining 15' - 30' cables through the walls to the ceiling.

I agree that the actual improvement in quality from up-scaling is
debatable.  However, many do say that with a good scaler you will see
some improvement. Any improvement is welcome on screens this size.

David