[mythtv-users] /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 occasionally swapped on reboot: udev rule needed?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Mon Mar 2 18:18:28 UTC 2009

earlier today, James Miller wrote:

> Can I ask for input on creating the udev rules I will need in order for
> the device files representing my capture cards get assigned consistently
> each time I boot the system? TIA.

Some further searching on this issue turned up the following link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-950387.html . This is one of
those extremely rare occasions where you find that someone online has
tried to do the same thing you want to do and, what's more, has
essentially the same system setup (he also uses Mythbuntu and has the same
capture cards I'm using). His udev rule is named
/etc/udev/rules.d/55-custom.rules and the content is as follows:

KERNEL=="video[0-9]", SYSFS{name}=="BT878*", SYMLINK+="BT878"
KERNEL=="video[0-9]", SYSFS{name}=="ivtv*", SYMLINK+="PVR150"

Does that look it's going to accomplish the goal I'm  aiming at, i.e., to
ensure that my capture cards are assigned device files consistently
between reboots? Seems promising. Any further helpful input on this issue?

Thanks,
James