[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 2 20:46:27 UTC 2009

On 03/02/2009 03:03 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>
>> Right, but Boxee wasn't rendering the HTML at all, just snarfing up the
>> video.  There's a difference between reformatting something for display,
>> and taking it out of its original context.
>>
> And how is this different from the construcion of "other websites
> where users may embed the Content" which is explicitly allowed by the
> Hulu terms of service?

Did you read the whole paragraph ( http://www.hulu.com/terms ):
-----
Hulu, LLC ("Hulu," "we" or "us") provides an online video service
offering a selection of television shows, movies, clips and other
content (collectively, "Content") available on the Hulu.com website (the
"Hulu Site"), Hulu's affiliate and distribution partner websites
("Distribution Sites"), and other websites where users may embed the
Content (these websites, together with the Hulu Site and Distribution
Sites, are referred to collectively as the "Sites"). Our video service,
including the Content and our video player, and any other features,
tools, applications, materials or other services offered from time to
time by Hulu in connection with its business on any of the Sites are
referred to collectively as the "Hulu Services." We are a company based
in the United States.
-----

wherein is the approval for someone to create another website using
Hulu's content?  To me, that definitional paragraph simply acknowledges
that Hulu has made deals (not through the Terms of Use agreement, but
through specific licensing deals) with 3rd parties to create
distribution sites.  It does not in any way provide authorization for
others to create the sites.

Mike