[mythtv-users] OTA ATSC Down-convert to SD/S-Video

Michael Donaghy mdonaghy at michaeldonaghy.com
Tue Mar 3 00:48:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 06:13:25PM -0500, jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:55 PM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 01:43 -0500, Michael Donaghy wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Motherboard: (1 of them)
> >>   ASUS M3N78-EM
> >>   ASUS M3N78 PRO
> >>   Both contain:
> >>     - NVIDIA GeForce 8300 (North Bridge)
> >>     - NVIDIA GeForce 8 series (video) - VGA, DVI, HDMI
> >>     - Realtek ALC1200 (Audio) - S/PDIF (coaxial or optical), 6 Audio Ports
> >>     - Realtek 8211CL (Network)
> > <snip>
> >
> > Might want to download the manual and check, but many of the older asus
> > boards have a pin header for svideo/composite out. I do not know if the
> > newer nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx based boards do or not.
>
> Do you mean like the ones that make it so you can use a vga to s-video
> converter? I suppose that is possible. There is no DIN connector on
> the board, unless you count the ps/2 keyboard connector.

I think James is might be talking about one of those.  That ASUS
motherboard doesn't have anything to support S-Video or Component video.
---I checked the PDF manual on the web.  I did learn that DDR2 1066 RAM
is for AM2+ CPUs, not AM2 in the process though.

In my hardware research over the past few weeks, I discovered that ATI makes
some cards that allow you to plugin an adapter to the VGA port to get
Component (YPbPr) video out, however ATI cards aren't known for their
Linux support.  :(  ...and those are still a "add-on" card.

Michael