[mythtv-users] OTA ATSC Down-convert to SD/S-Video

Michael Donaghy mdonaghy at michaeldonaghy.com
Tue Mar 3 01:01:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:37:49AM -0500, jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
> There was recently a long thread about the overscan issue. Whether it
> will be a problem for you depends on your TV. If your TV overscans and
> doesn't have anyway to compensate/disable it, then you will probably
> have a problem with the newer video cards. When using an old 5200 I
> could use nvidia-settings to adjust the overscan to fit my TV.
> However, it seems that this features is not available for the new
> 8xxxx and 9xxx cards with the linux driver. I am not sure if it is all
> of these cards or just a large subset up them. But there are people
> filing complaints with nividia with many of those cards. It is
> possible they will add this back into the drivers but they haven't
> done it yet. If you are only using mythtv then you can just adjust the
> screen with that screen setup wizard. So it is really only an issue
> when you are out of mythtv. I was able to adjust my toolbar size, and
> I usually use vnc or ssh when doing anything with the OS (where it

Ahhh...The Febuary archives.  Google gave me posts from 2007, but I
guess I should've directly peeked at the archives.  The summary from
the thread last month seems to be somewhat unresolved & waiting on NVidia
to provide a driver update.

But from what you're saying above & http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Overscan ,
I think I should be fine so long as I want to stay in the Myth Menus &
Video playback, but might encounter problems if I try & run FireFox or
OpenOffice.  I'd be quite comfortable using SSH with an X tunnel or VNC.

Michael