[mythtv-users] OTA ATSC Down-convert to SD/S-Video

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 01:59:23 UTC 2009

> Ahhh...The Febuary archives.  Google gave me posts from 2007, but I
> guess I should've directly peeked at the archives.  The summary from
> the thread last month seems to be somewhat unresolved & waiting on NVidia
> to provide a driver update.
>
> But from what you're saying above & http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Overscan ,
> I think I should be fine so long as I want to stay in the Myth Menus &
> Video playback, but might encounter problems if I try & run FireFox or
> OpenOffice.  I'd be quite comfortable using SSH with an X tunnel or VNC.

Yeah myth and xbmc and most apps that are designed for a TV allow you
to adjust for overscan. If you do want to do firefox, I saw a thread
where someone worked around the problem by setting up panels on each
side of the screen. Then adjust the size so they cover the overscan
portions of the screen and then set them make them transparent if you
want (or can with your window manager). Then when you maximize other
programs they will be limited to only where you can see by the panels.
Quite hackish but it can work if you really need it.