[mythtv-users] New HD HomeRun problem

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Mar 4 02:42:49 UTC 2009

Jay Broussard wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:
>

> Check the Silicon Dust homepage and see if your power supply has been
> recalled: http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/power
>
> There are a lot of problems attributed to that.
>
> Jay
>

> This (or something very similar) happened to me recently. I had no
> problems getting a windows PC to record off the HDHR, but no joy on
> my Mythbox. In the end, removing the HDHR tuners from Myth and
> adding them back in fixed it for me. Of course, now I have to redo
> all of my channel assignments, but at least the HDHR works now.
>
> Justin

> Then, make sure that the router has not changed the IP address of the
> hdhr.
> Make sure that everything, including the channel standard is properly
> set on the hdhr....
> Most likely reason is that the router changed the IP of the hdhr. If you
> can, reserve the hdhr's IP address by tying it to the MAC, since there
> is no easy way to contact the hdhr under linux if the IP address keeps
> changing.
> If you cannot reserve an address, then reduce the allowed DHCP served
> range to ONE address, and let the hdhr have it.
> This does mean that you have to use static for everything else.
>
> Geoff

OK -
Tried power-cycling the router - no joy (even a hard reset and re-set-up
didn't change anything).  I don't think it's the IP address; I believe the
HDHR has had the same IP addy for quite some time (192.168.1.67).  I can't
really shut my DHCP server down to one address, as I have people coming in
here all the time with laptops, and I need a working DHCP server.

What if it had changed?  How would I get Myth to find it?  Since the
config utility can find it using the serial number, and Myth HAS the
serial number, shouldn't Myth be able to find it no matter which IP it's
on?

Next, tried removing all of the capture cards, then replacing them in the
same order.  That didn't work either.  The QAM section of the pcHD5500
works fine, though, so the "in the clear" video source I'm using appears
to be OK.

Rebooted the Myth BE/FE box before, didn't matter, will try again after a
long download finishes up.

SiliconDust DOES say my power brick needs replacement, so they'll be
sending a new one (thanks, Jay!).  While I'm waiting for it to show up,
any other ideas?  I find this really odd, since it was working fine last
Friday, but not last night, and nothing else has changed.

Thanks for the help thus far - Bob