[mythtv-users] Transcoding problem in 0.21?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:17:03 UTC 2009

> Midway through playing a recording,
> it seems to slow down, the sound becomes out of sync with the video, and
> there are pops and crackles in the audio.  This persists until the end of
> the recording.

I've seen similar problems, and I'm also transcoding ATSC broadcasts
to SD (I use ffmpeg though). My thought is that RF interference messes
up the ATSC stream (I only have 70% signal strength), which is normal
and happens all the time -- but ffmpeg and/or the internal player
can't recover from the error for some reason and the audio ends up
about 10(!) seconds ahead of the video.

Next time it happens, we should try playing the video file in
something else like VLC to see if the problem is in the recording or
in the internal player. If the problem remains in VLC, we should also
keep and play back the original un-transcoded file in VLC too, to see
if the problem happens during broadcast or during transcoding. We
should also probably post relevant sections from our Myth frontend log
files.
___
 /yler