[mythtv-users] JFS check after reboot

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Mar 5 19:10:02 UTC 2009

According to the fstab man page:

"The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to
determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.
  The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of  1,  and
other filesystems  should  have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a
drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives
  will be  checked  at  the  same time to utilize parallelism available
in the hardware.  If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value  of
  zero is  returned  and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not
need to be checked."

So, if the value is zero or missing, I would set it to 2, not 1. If the
value is already 2, something's not quite right. My mythtv recordings
are on a JFS partition, and when there's a power outage or crash, my
system always does an fsck on that partition during boot.

HTH,
Helen