[mythtv-users] 24fps Movies and new 120Hz LCD TV

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:16:03 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/3/6 James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com>

> Thanks for responding to my email.  After I received the first respone, I
> read about the patch.  Further down that page I saw that you had submitted a
> revamped patch.  Thanks so much for your work with VDPAU and now with this.
> I didn't see this answered anywhere, but I take it that your patch is not
> included in your Ubuntu repo?

it is of course :)

my ubuntu repo includes all my patches.. remember that I wrote all those
patches first of all for my own use and I wanted that feature.

To make the most of your TV, you may want to use my xorg.conf configuration
file (assuming you have a nvidia video card)
http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26_Add-Ons/Entries/2008/9/5_xorg.conf_and_specific_refresh_rates.html

this will allow to control precisely how you output on your TV.

If you use the xorg.conf I provided and the new feature making mythtv change
automatically the refresh rate in the configuration screen for the custom
refresh rate add the path to the file containing:
#50 - "1920x1080 at 50"
#51 - "1920x1080 at 60"
#52 - "1920x1080 at 24"
#53 - "1920x1080 at 23.976"
#54 - "1920x1080 at 50i"
#55 - "1920x1080 at 60i"
#56 - "1920x1080 at 59.94"
#57 - "1920x1080 at 59.94i"
#1920x1080 mode:
1920,1080,50,50
1920,1080,60,51
1920,1080,24,52
1920,1080,23.976,53
1920,1080,59.94,56
1600,1200,25,25
1920,1200,60,50

this indicate to myth, that in order to use say 24Hz, it has to use xrandr
value 52 ...

I don't know if your TV handles 23.976Hz so you may have to test if it works
or not. I'd be surprised if it didn't though, my sony tv, panasonic tv and
panasonic projector handle it fine.