[mythtv-users] artifacts in pvr-150 recordings, only recently

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 06:10:01 UTC 2009

In the last week my pvr-150 recordings have started to have
artifacts/blocks every 5 or 10 minutes on average, but the timing
seems pretty random. The artifacts show up for a couple of frames. The
rest of the recording will have excellent quality. The system is only
about 3 or 4 weeks old. I initially thought it was just some playback
issue because I installed Jean-Yves .21-fixes packages that enable
VDPAU last week also. However they were still there when I switched
back to a standard xv playback profile with no deinterlacers. I have
copied the files to another computer and played them in several
players (mplayer, vlc) and the artifacts show up so they must actually
be in the recordings. Here is a screenshot I got via vnc:
http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pvr150artifacts.jpg.

I searched the archives and found older posts indicating pci latency
problems. But I couldn't find good info on how or what to change it
to. Also the post were old, is this still an issue on newer hardware.
I have a brand new Asus M3N78-EM. Also why would this problem only
appear in the last week if it was pci-latency? Are there other issues
with my drives, or could I just be getting a bad signal from Comcast,
or a driver that could cause this? One other possibility is I messed
up my /var/lib directory and had to restore it from a backup and then
I had to reinstall some of the most recently installed packages. I
checked my frontend and backend logs and I didn't see anything that
popped out at me. Is there something I could look for in the logs that
might give me more info about what is going on? Any help will be
greatly appreciated. This seems to be affecting almost all of my
recordings currently.