[mythtv-users] Central Storage

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 16:19:14 UTC 2009

> *5 family members with diverse tastes
> *15 upcoming free to air channels ( 5 of which are HD )
> *presently have at times have 3 VCRs and 3 Mythboxes recording simultaneously and some Mythboxes recording multiple streams.

Do you intend to record all 15 channels at once or something?  Even if
that were true...

Maximum Channel bandwidth:  19 Mbit/s

5 family members watching at once at maximum bandwidth:  90 Mbit
15 Channels at 19 Mbit: 281 Mbit

371 Mbit Total, assuming everyone were watching at once and you were
recording all your channels at once (which would require at *least*
7-8 tuner cards).

As steve mentioned, you will run into other I/O bandwidth long before
you saturate a gigE network.

Robert