[mythtv-users] Central Storage

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Fri Mar 6 21:53:57 UTC 2009

lcollins at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> I am looking at 6-8 secondary backends (on FREE redundant P4 2.4GHz machines which I limit to 1 HD stream or 2 SD streams ) and 5 Frontend Machines; so I could have that many machines reading or writing to the server at the same time. I will also be running the server with 1 PATA HDD for the OS and 4 SATA HDDs in LVM for the storage to try to spread disk access.

1.  6-8 secondary backends?  Have you heard that multiple capture
devices can be put on a single backend?

2.  The machines are free, but have you thought about how much power
you're going to be consuming with that much hardware crunching *PLUS*
all those frontends?  Is your power free too?

I'd look hard at a single backend with multiple capture devices and low
power front ends without hard disks that power down when not needed.  I
have 1-2 low power machines here that run 24/7 and I notice a big jump
in my power bill when they run all the time.