[mythtv-users] Perfect frontend?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 16:18:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Enigma <enigma at thedonnerparty.com> wrote:

> Can someone offer me the right grub magic to make this automatically boot?
>> I'm looking for the right command for when I boot off sda and have the
>> thumb
>> drive available as sdb, so that I can reboot without the hard drive (and
>> the
>> thumb drive will now be sda). The boot partition is sda1/sdb1.
>

> You should be able to do the following (as root)

Thanks.  The boot from the thumb drive now proceeds automatically.  But it
was stopping very early on when it said it couldn't mount /dev/root.  I
finally figured out that I needed to rebuild the initrd image with the
usb-storage module explicitly included.  Success!  Booting up is now about 5
times slower than with the hard drive, but once it's up, everything is the
same so far.  (Maybe that's how it goes with thumb drives, or maybe it's the
consequence of buying the cheapest 4GB drive in the store...)

Removing the hard drive from the system unfortunately didn't decrease the
noise level by much.  So I started unplugging fans and found that the tiny
microATX power supply's fan was the main culprit, even after I had replaced
the extremely noisy original fan with something quieter.  But I left all the
fans unplugged, so let's see how long it can run silent before something
fries!

Jim