[mythtv-users] Strange DVB-S Behavour

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Mar 8 17:03:30 UTC 2009

alex at apics.co.uk wrote:
> Hi All,
>         I just wanted to pick peoples brains, to see if anyone has come
> across the below before.....  I have recently bought a Hauppauge
> NOVA-HD-S2 (DVB-S) card....  I've 'borrowed' a normal Sky Mini Dish, and
> set it up, and using a satellite finder it appears to have a good
> signal.  I've pulled the latest v4l drivers, and installed them, and all
> appears to be well, upto a point:
>
>         When I scan for channels, they appear to be found, but in the
> output I don't get channels names, just 4 'random' characters:

Are you sure you've tuned into DVB-S and not DVB-S2?  I don't know how
you select which one is used (I don't have an S2 capable card) but I
think you need different utilities (scan2, szap2, etc) to use DVB-S2.
You also need application support for S2-API in MythTV (it's in 0.22
according to a thread earlier today).

Robert.