[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:29:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:13:01AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>
>> 3) Is there an IR blaster solution that doesn't require serial ports
>> and supports multiple STBs tuning to different channels at the same
>> time? I haven't found the documentation yet. I bought a USB IR Blaster
>> but haven't gotten it to work with my digital converter. (No time.) No
>> slots left in my server for a serial card and I aven't found one yet
>> anyway. Serial is dead in the market. Depending on it here is no
>> desirable.
>
> For what it's worth, I've been doing ok with with USB->Serial converters for
> other uses. I'm just not looking at buying more to tune analog from D->A
> boxes controlled via IR blasters.

$30 to buy each converter, if we can find them, then $7/month for
STBs. Not pretty.

Does anyone use multiple USB-IR Blasters to control multiple STBs successfully?

<SNIP>
> From another reply I just got, this change sounds like just more channels
> witched to unencrypted QAM, which means I can pick them up with my dual
> tuner HD-Homerun.
> Hopefully, if they stick to a mapping they don't change every week, I should
> just be able to pick up the channels I lost via HD-HR, which admittedly
> won't be too bad (they might even look slightly better).
>
>> And again, this is all to get recordings of the channels I pay for. I
>> can get the low channels with an HDHR efficiently but the family will
>> revolt as we watch the same small list of channels similar to Marc
>> Merlin's post. Without that list I'm likely to receive divorce
>> papers...
>
> Err, you lost me here. If you can get the channels through HD-HR, why do you
> say that you'll end up with fewer channels?

Only that what the HDHR gives me is essentially all the stuff below
channel 34 that I can get from the free converters that Comcast
provides for SD->analog conversion. (Assuming I ever get USB-IR
Blasters working.) The HDHR gives me my major networks, OTA type
stations. I estimate that these stations account for about 50% of what
we record. The other 50% is FX, TBS, TNT, USA, FOOD, HGTV, Comedy
Central, Bravo, SciFi, etc. I'll be shot if we loss Monk, Psych,
Saving Grace, Damages, The Closer, etc. I'll be nothing but blood on
the wall. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark