[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 15:14:02 UTC 2009

Jeff Walther wrote:
>>Anyway, this topic kind of chaps me because I frequently hear the media
>>non-critically hyping how wonderful it is to have solar panels, and the
>>fact is that anyone who can do simple math (and doesn't live somewhere
>>with really expensive electricity) can see that they make no economic
>>sense whatsoever.

Ahh, so not just me then !

Same with this "cheap, clean, zero-emissions" hydrogen fuel stuff as well.

Yan Seiner wrote:

>Alas, the ability to do simple math and a PV analysis is sorely
>lacking in the US... Witness the current housing meltdown.

Not just the US, seems normal over here in teh UK as well.

>Part of the reason is that it is a specialty market.  If more people
>did it it would be cheaper, but more people won't do it until the
>price comes down.  I sort of wish our current administration would
>follow up on the proposal to buy back solar-generated energy at
>$0.15/KWh.  Then you'd see a lot of systems go in and the price
>would come down.

It's not just that it's a specialty, it's that these things really
are non-trivial to make. Effectively, each panel is a silicon chip
the size of ... well a large panel. New designs come along from time
to time, but at the moment, the bulk of panels are big silicon chips.

I think you are right about volumes though. These panels use similar
manufacturing processes to large flat panel displays - and look at
how the price of those has come down over the years. On the other
hand, if PV (photo voltaic) solar panels did suddenly take off, it
would push up the price of TVs since they would be fighting for the
same production capacity.

--
Simon Hobson