[mythtv-users] Problems with ATSC program guide

roccomoretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Mon Mar 9 15:50:42 UTC 2009

I'm having several problems with MythTV and the over-the-air electronic
program guide.

The latest is problems with the recent (US) switch to daylight saving
time - the current time displayed in MythTV is correct, but the programs
in the guide are one hour early (but only for certain channels). It's
not a source issue, as I checked the EPG on a converter box, and the
programs and times line up appropriately. My guess is that for some
reason MythTV is still sticking with a pre-DST schedule. Is there some
way to force a rescan of the ATSC EIT information? I though
mythfilldatabase should do it, but from the output it looks like it
doesn't actually do anything for over-the-air sources.

Another issue is that even when the scanned programs come at the correct
time, they don't have the correct extended description. The main titles
all are correct, but the episode descriptions are all jumbled up within
the channel. House has episode descriptions from the Simpsons, Nova gets
ones from This Old House, etc. Again, this is not a source issue, as
when I check the episode descriptions on my converter box, everything
lines up appropriately.

Finally, I have a hybrid tuner (Hauppauge HVR-1950) and I can't seem to
get MythTV to behave. If I have EIT scanning turned on, I cannot use the
analog side (attempting to do so causes MythTV to "hang" on a black
screen for a minute or two, until feverishly hitting escape finally
returns me to the menu). If I turn the EIT scanning off, the analog side
works fine, but I don't get any new EPG info. Is there some way to set
up the EIT scans to run manually? I don't think I need the constant scan
going - hopefully there is some way I could set a scan to run every 4-6
hours if the tuner is not otherwise in use.

Thanks for any help.