[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Stackpole, Chris CStackpole at barbnet.com
Mon Mar 9 20:15:13 UTC 2009

[snip]

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-
> Supplies
> and select an option for Energy-Efficient.  Note that 80 PLUS
guarantees
> 80% or higher efficiency over a range of loads from 20-100% (and is
> /vastly/ different from the "up to 80%" efficiencies listed in newegg
> specs for non-certified PSU's).  The Bronze/Silver/Gold certifications
> add to the 80 PLUS certification specific minimum efficiencies at 20%,
> 50%, and 100% loads.  Bronze is 82%/85%/82%.  Silver is 85%/88%/85%.
> Gold is 87%/90%/87%.  Note, however, that many of the 80 PLUS standard
> PSU's are /very/ close to the same efficiencies as the
Bronze-certified
> PSU's.  See the PSU reports for details:
> http://80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx .

I have just started researching this and this seems like a good
conversation to jump into. Hope no one minds me asking a few questions.
:)

I have been looking to replace my ancient P4 Myth frontend and its +4 yr
old PSU with something like an Intel Atom w/ Nvidia and VDAPU (I also
have a number of other systems that have high uptimes that I am trying
to replace as well). I am hoping to cut these really old systems in
favor of ones that are much more efficient. It has been suggested to me
to look at the Silver 80 PLUS PSU's but the smallest wattage I have seen
on the Silvers is a 700W. Way more then an Atom needs. However, it is my
understanding that if a system draws (for example) 200W then there is no
difference in power wasted for a 300W vs a 700W. In fact, if I
understand correctly, a 300W at 75% load pulling 85% efficiency is worse
then a 700W at 35% load pulling in a 87% efficiency. Correct? Or have I
completely misunderstood what I have gathered so far?

It also appears to me (from my limited research so far) that the price
difference between the 80 PLUS certification and the bronze/silver/gold
doesn't justify the purchase. It seems to me to be more of a bragging
point because the difference of ~3% power savings won't come close to
covering the price difference even after several years. Am I wrong? I
think that was what you were saying up there, but I might have
misinterpreted you to fit my conclusion so I just wanted to verify. :P

Thanks!
~Stack~