[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 08:05:57 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:

>>So, the anti-nuclear lobby caused our contribution to global warming.  I'm
>>still waiting for them to admit it and change their stance...
>>
>I'm all for it as soon as we figure out where to put the waste, and
>commit to cleaning up all the previous messes from when we thought
>we could just dump it in any random hole in the ground.  Until we
>have a realistic waste disposal solution, though, it's hard for me
>to support making more of the stuff.

Which incidentally we have an answer for - but start talking "fast
breeder" and the anti-nuke lobby go into a frenzy ! A lot of what we
currently call "waste" can actually be fed into a different type of
reactor, used again, and the result is a smaller volume of waste with
a much shorter half-life (I don't know the figures, but the stuff
doesn't have to be locked away for thousands of years). But once you
start talking about reactors that can make their own plutonium fuel,
for some reason people get even more tetchy than they are about
common uranium fission reactors.

I've heard that over in the UK we have enough processed waste in
storage now to run something like one of these reactors for it's
lifetime, and several times that waiting for re-processing. I would
think several of those reactors would make a big dent in our CO2
emissions.

What's needed is some cool rational debate, but I think that is about
as likely as cool rational debate about 'climate change' :-(

Oh yes, I don't have any connection with the nuclear industry - but I
do have the Sellafield plant just up the coast from me, and a
shipyard just down the coast that build (amongst other things)
nuclear powered subs. Contrary to a joke I got at university, we
still need headlights on the cars, the hedges don't glow at night :-)
--
Simon Hobson