[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 10:03:51 UTC 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 12:34 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Friday 27 February 2009 13:07:03 Brent Norris wrote:
>> Tom Dexter wrote:
>>> I don't think any more of Hulu's decision than anyone else here, I
>>> just don't get this perception of some legal right to use a web site
>>> any way you want just because it's there.
>>
>> Lets reverse the question: Where is their legal right to tell us
>> how we
>> use their content that they have freely available.  I'll list the
>> scenarios and someone can draw the line where the break point is:
>>
>> 1. Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Computer, Firefox
>> 2. Monitor, Keyboard, Remote, Computer, Firefox
>> 3. TV, Keyboard, Mouse, Computer, Firefox
>> 4. TV, Mouse, Computer, Firefox
>> 5. TV, Remote, Computer, Firefox
>> 6. TV, Remote, Computer, Other non-Firefox Browser
>> 7. TV, Remote, Computer, MythTV
>> 8. TV, Keyboard, Mouse
>> 9. TV, Mouse
>> 10. TV, Remote
>>
>> Now granted 8-10 haven't happened yet, but that doesn't mean they
>> can't.
>>  Why does it matter what we are using to view their content?  We are
>> still viewing it and the ad that they have in such content.  What
>> if I
>> just use a big LCD monitor for my TV?  Does that make it OK then?
>> What
>> if I just think to myself really hard that I am watching it on a
>> computer while I sit on my couch and watch it?  Will that be enough
>> for
>> the thought police?  If they want to put their content out there,
>> then
>> they need to expect people to maneuver to use it in a manner that the
>> consumer sees fit.  If I am giving their ad EyeTime then I can view
>> it
>> in a manner that makes ME happy not them.
>
> What you say makes perfect sense, but you're missing the major point:
>
> The "content providers" who thought they had found a new revenue
> stream, never
> thought about the fact that hundreds of thousands of people would
> cancel
> cable TV. Since the "CPs" derive a LOT more revenue from cable
> companies than
> from internet distribution, they now have to worry about upsetting
> their main
> customers (the cable companies).

Interestingly enough, if the Cable companies were to reduce the
prices, consumers wouldn't be canceling left and right. Which leads to
your next paragraph.

> <snippage>
> Their main problem was greed, they saw additional dollar signs, and
> never
> thought about the consequences, which any reasonably bright 12-year-
> old model
> train enthusiast could have predicted.
>
> Eventually all entertainment distribution will be over the net, but
> that won't
> happen until the forces of evil finally lose their battle,
> unfortunately they
> can afford to buy a lot of lawyers, and congressmen.

That is ideal. Each content provider could have their own Hulu-Like
website with RSS feeds of all the available shows (with the single
embedded commercials) and we could use a system such as boxee or myth
to connect and view all these shows directly from the content
provider. I don't see this undercutting local brodcasters (they're
already free to watch) as much as it will cable and sattelite. Cable
will have to become a basic utility company - providing broadband,
which will allow for all TV and Communications. Until they figure it
out though, it's just going to be a battle.