[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Mar 10 17:36:58 UTC 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:
> That's fine, but one guy won't fix the overall problem and why pay
> $40K for a system that eliminates a $1K/year bill? It makes no sense.
>
> for someone like me in California with very high electricity bills it
> *might* get paid off in 10 years, assuming no additional costs, no
> system failures, no vandalism.

In California it also has another benefit that's perhaps less obvious.
California has severe peak demand swings caused by air conditioning
loads -- this is one of the reasons for the rolling blackouts they have
in the summer.  Solar panels produce the most power precisely when the
most air conditioning is required.  This has the potential to smooth out
those demand peaks.