[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 10 17:45:31 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:36:58 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > That's fine, but one guy won't fix the overall problem and why pay
> > $40K for a system that eliminates a $1K/year bill? It makes no sense.
> >
> > for someone like me in California with very high electricity bills it
> > *might* get paid off in 10 years, assuming no additional costs, no
> > system failures, no vandalism.
>
> In California it also has another benefit that's perhaps less obvious.
> California has severe peak demand swings caused by air conditioning
> loads -- this is one of the reasons for the rolling blackouts they have
> in the summer.  Solar panels produce the most power precisely when the
> most air conditioning is required.  This has the potential to smooth out
> those demand peaks.

And by shading those (usually dark) roofs they may also reduce the peak
levels.

I wonder if someone could make a combination photo-voltaic and hot water
system by running glycol through pipes under the P/V cells.

You might be able to use water in California, here in Wyoming it would freeze,
so such systems use glycol and an exchanger.

--
beww
beww at beww.org