[mythtv-users] Need a PCI Express x1 serial adapter

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 10 17:52:00 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:45:34 Scott Alfter wrote:
> Mark J. Small wrote:
> > This claims linux support since 2.6.11:
> >
> > http://www.startech.com/item/PEX2S952-2-Port-PCI-Express-RS232-Native-Ser
> >ial-Adapter-Card-with-16550-UART.aspx
> >
> > I'd never seen one of these before.  Its the first useful card I've ever
> > seen for PCIe 1X.
>
> At risk of drifting somewhat offtopic, I picked up a PCIe FireWire card a
> while back.  It's in my MythTV backend; a cable box hangs off it.  That
> freed up a PCI slot for a tuner.  They used to cost a fair bit more than
> PCI FireWire cards (which are dirt-cheap), but the price premium has since
> shrunk considerably.

Now that just about any machine you buy has the 1x slots the potential market
is much larger than it used to be.

Too bad they couldn't just offset the connecter enough that you could have a
standard PCI or a 1x card in the same space. More or less like the old VESA
connector with an ISA slot.

It should work, just a lack of foresight I guess, or trying to eliminate
standard PCI eventually.

--
beww
beww at beww.org