[mythtv-users] Moving a LVM harddrive (F10)

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 11 03:14:17 UTC 2009

On Wed Mar 11 12:44 , Richard Shaw  sent:

>On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:10 PM, John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am thinking I should be able to install the /dev/sdb HDD into the new
>>> computer, load LVM tools and have it pick up without issue? What are the
>>> pitfalls I should look out for? BTW I think it is formatted as ReiserFS.
>>>

>> I have never had any problem at all moving lvm volumes (done this
>> dozens of times) from machine to machine. And the filesystem makes no
>> difference.
>>
>> John
>
>The only issue I had was doing a hardware upgrade and the initrd from
>the old system was not good enough for the new system (nForce to AMD
>chipset). I was getting the "Volume Group (/dev/Volgroup00) not
>found." error and I had to figure out how to build an initrd from a
>chroot environment which was an adventure.
>
>Richard

Same again here. I've had no problem moving an LVM (on soft RAID too).
To avoid the problem above all you need to do is ensure you rebuild your kernel
with all the options required for your new system, prior to moving it.

I did this recently moving from an nforce based mobo, to an ATI based mobo and no
issues whatsoever.