[mythtv-users] minimum card requirements for VDPAU

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 11 05:58:28 UTC 2009

>Search the archives. There are several threads recently discussing
>this in detail. There is also some information on the wiki page for
>VDPAU including examples of the capabilities of specific cards. It
>will be difficult to get a straight answer on this because the
>capabilities of the various cards is a moving target, as things change
>and improve as they develop the VDPAU drivers.

This is my problem, I've been searching and searching and it seems to be
conflicting information.

>If you want to be able to do the highest quality
>deinterlacing you may also want to get a card that can do Advanced 2x
>with 1080i. You can search the archive and wiki to see which cards can
>already do this, or you can gamble and hope whatever card you get may
>be able to do it in the future. I think the 9xxx cards with 512 MB of
>RAM will do it all, but I am just pulling that from memory. You will
>want to read the recent threads in the archive for details.

Yep trying to find it, without much luck, but this seems like a good call (going
with a 9xxx card). It's really the de-interlacing part of it that is the issue
for me, I get very good playback of the HD files from the CPU. Unfortunately in
Australia it appears that the HD channels all went to 1080i without thinking,
720p would have been much better for sports, but we are all about big numbers
here in Australia. On CPU based de-interlacing I get up to greedy high motion 1X
on my CPU but anything after that it starts to jitter... (any recommendations
here would also be accepted)... I'll be separating the back and frontends so
maybe I can just OC the thing instead as the frontend won't be on 24 hours anymore.